United States Attorney General Merrick Garland personally approved a search warrant at former President Donald Trump’s Florida residence last Monday and sought authorization from a southern state court this Thursday. said the command. In a brief statement, after which he did not take questions, Garland defended the legality of the search, noting that these types of decisions are not made “lightly.” Whenever possible, he explained, “less intrusive” means are chosen as alternatives.
The search warrant was authorized by a federal court, and the property inventory is a document that federal law requires law enforcement to leave with the property owner. Trump himself was the first to report the raid on the Florida mansion on his social networks. “That’s your right,” said the attorney general, who said the former Republican president’s lawyers received a copy of the search warrant and the FBI inventory on the same day.
Garland emphasized that upholding the rule of law is a “fundamental principle” of the Justice Department and American democracy, noting that no one is above the law.
“Upholding the rule of law means uniform application of the law without fear or favoritism.” Under my watch, that’s what the Department of Justice is doing,” he said in a brief televised intervention in which he criticized attacks and threats against law enforcement.
The search of Trump’s Palm Beach home sought to recover national security documents the former president did not hand over to federal agents during a meeting in June, where the FBI has already seized more material under a court order. Several American media outlets, such as CNN and The New York Times, have cited sources familiar with the matter.
The paper cited two people who said the documents, which were left at Trump’s residence and should not have been removed from the White House, were “so sensitive” to national security that the Justice Department had to act this week. Although Garland did not specify the reasons for the search, American media reported that it was related to the investigation that began earlier this year and the restoration of documents requested by the National Archives, which Trump took over.
Christina Bob, one of the former president’s lawyers, said in interviews this week that she was at Mar-a-Lago when the raid occurred and that the FBI took about 12 boxes from the residence.
All this Thursday, before and after Garland’s appearance, Trump limited himself to accusing former President Barack Obama on social media of taking the documents when he left office.
“What happened to the 30 million pages of documents that Barack Hussein Obama took from the White House to Chicago?” He refused to return them! What is happening? This act strongly contradicted the National Archives. Will they break into Obama’s “villa” on Martha’s Vineyard?
According to Trump, Obama sent 30 million pages of his administration’s records to Chicago with the promise of digitizing them and eventually putting them online, and more than five years into his presidency, the National Archives website “showed that no pages had been digitized or disclosed. “.
Source: El Diario