The Pentagon claims that an American ship was attacked by drones in the Red Sea

A US Navy ship and several commercial vessels were attacked this Sunday in the Red Sea, Pentagon sources told The Associated Press. “We are aware of reports of attacks on the USS Carney and other commercial vessels in the Red Sea,” the Pentagon said.

Yemen’s Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for attacks on two ships in the area linked to Israel, but not that they targeted a US ship. The incident could further inflame tensions in the Middle East amid intensifying Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip and recent attacks on several ships in the region.

The US Ministry of Defense has assured that they will provide additional information in this regard. So far, they have only confirmed that the attack began at 10 a.m. local time in Sanaa, Yemen, and that it lasted for five hours.

This week, the UK military reported an attack and several explosions in the area, which they believe came from an “unmanned aerial system”. The British Navy’s Maritime Commercial Operations Office (UKMTO) said the attack took place near Bab el Mandeb, off the coast of Yemen, and urged ships sailing in the area to “take precautions”.

Several Arab media reported that the center of the possible attack was a Bahamian-flagged British-owned cargo ship, EFE reports. It is not yet known whether the American ship was in the same area.

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for this week’s rocket and drone attacks on the cargo ships Unity Explorer and Number 9 as they transited the Red Sea, EFE reported, however. No American ships were mentioned.

Houthi military spokesman Yahya Sariyah said in a televised address that the rebels “conducted an operation against two Israeli ships” in the Bab El Mandab Strait, identifying the ships as the Bahamian-flagged Unity Explorer. “Number 9”, with the flag of Panama.

“The first ship was attacked by a naval missile and the second by a naval drone,” a military spokesman said, adding that the operation took place “after the two ships rejected a Houthi warning message.”

The region has been the center of such attacks and kidnappings in recent weeks, amid rising tensions between Israel and the Islamist group Hamas. Since the start of the war in Gaza, the Houthis have threatened to “not stand down” and have since launched a series of missile and drone attacks against Israel that have been stopped by Israeli air defenses or US warships.

Given the ineffectiveness of their attacks, the rebels have threatened to attack ships flying the Israeli flag or owned by Israeli companies transiting the Red Sea, one of the world’s most important sea trade routes.

Similarly, US media reports that the Houthis have fired ballistic missiles at US warplanes in the area in recent weeks, and Washington has announced in recent days that it has intercepted several aircraft targeting their positions.

In mid-November, the rebels seized the cargo ship “Galaxy Leader”, which is owned by a British company but operated by the Japanese shipping company Nippon Yusen (NYK Line), although it is partly owned by an Israeli businessman.

Source: El Diario

share
James

James

comments

Comments

related posts

Post List

Hot News

Trending