Home World A prominent American journalist has filed a new lawsuit against Trump

A prominent American journalist has filed a new lawsuit against Trump

0
4

A prominent US columnist who claims former US President Donald Trump raped her more than two decades ago filed a new lawsuit for libel and libel on Thursday.

The lawsuit comes under a new law protecting victims of sexual assault and decades after the alleged crimes.

Lawyers for Elizabeth Jean Carroll filed the renewed lawsuit minutes after a new New York state law took effect that allows victims to sue regardless of the statute of limitations.

EJ Carroll, 78, filed a federal civil defamation lawsuit against Trump in November 2019, which is currently pending. In October, EJ Carroll and the former US president gave affidavits before a judge in New York.

In the renewed lawsuit, the former Elle magazine columnist accuses Trump of assault “when he raped and grabbed her” and defamation in a post on his Truth Social network in which the former president denied the to have raped.

In the new lawsuit, EJ Carroll seeks unspecified damages for psychological trauma, pain and suffering, loss of dignity and damage to his reputation.

The trial of the previously submitted lawsuit is expected to begin in early 2023. The presiding judge may decide to include the new charges in this case.

In 2019, EJ Carroll published a book in which he spoke publicly for the first time about his experience of being sexually assaulted by D. Trump. The woman claimed in the book that in late 1995 or early 1996, Trump raped her in a dressing room at New York’s luxury department store, Bergdorf Goodman.

However, it wasn’t until Thursday that said New York law went into effect – until then, EJ Carroll couldn’t bring another defamation lawsuit because the alleged crime happened too long ago.

Trump has vehemently denied the allegations against him and said he doesn’t even know EJ Carroll. He also claimed that this woman was “not to his liking” and that she was “absolutely” lying.

A New York state law that took effect Thursday gives victims of sexual assault a year to file lawsuits against their alleged rapists, even if the incident happened a long time ago.

In the new complaint, EJ Carroll reiterated that he remained silent for more than 20 years for fear of repercussions, but changed his mind after the emergence of the #MeToo movement against sexual violence and abuse of power in 2017 .

On October 12, Trump wrote on his Truth Social account that EJ Carroll “completely made up the story that I met her at the doorstep of Bergdorf Goodman,” adding that “it’s a hoax and a lie like all the other lies against me”.

Source: The Delfi

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here