All of us who have or have had dogs know how mischievous and curious these puppies can be, biting everything in their path, digging holes and digging up roots and bulbs.
Also, when they have indigestion or gastritis symptoms, dogs look for leaves to clean themselves, and if they feel sick, they don’t notice the type of leaf they are swallowing.
Both the desire to play and curiosity, or the search for purification can be dangerous if our dog chooses the wrong plant that has alkaloids or other toxins that affect his health, because some can cause vomiting, diarrhea, liver, kidney failure. And even the death of a dog.
And the problem is that these types of plants are not rare in our environment, because many of them are present in parks and gardens, as well as in our pots and indoor plants.
That’s why we remind you of these ten species that you may have in your environment and which are better to avoid from the jaws of your furry friend. The The notice comes from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the North American Agency for Food and Drug Administration.
Although myth says they are highly toxic, in reality they are only slightly toxic due to the milk their leaves secrete. At most they induce vomiting, but since this is a common plant in the Christmas house, it should be kept away from puppies.
The leaves and flowers of oleanders are truly toxic and can cause, in addition to vomiting, a slow pulse and even death in a dog. Whole oleanders are toxic and ingesting even a very small portion can be very dangerous. Keep an eye out for oleanders on your patio or garden and keep your pup away.
Azaleas are usually plants of high mountains and cold northern climates, but they adapt well to Mediterranean winters and for this reason it is not uncommon to see them on terraces and gardens as decorative plants.
But a few leaves of this plant can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and higher intake can be fatal. Its poison is andromedotoxin.
Classic pot lilies or wet edges, characterized by white or red leaves surrounding an elongated yellow genitalia, can cause esophageal irritation, as well as more or less severe vomiting and diarrhea.
A classic of the garden in winter with its white, red or fuchsia leaves, which, however, pose a danger to the dog if they are planted in the ground, because the roots can cause the death of the dog.
It is an invasive species from Africa, belonging to the cruciferous plant family. It is often seen in Mediterranean forest clearings or slopes, as well as in rock gardens, characterized by the fact that “babies” fall from the edge of the leaves, as well as its purulent tones. It can cause vomiting and heart arrhythmia.
A few decades ago, this plant from the South American rainforest was very common in homes, and now it seems to be making a comeback. The problem is that the abundance of oxalic acid and the amino acid asparagine cause irritation in the mouth and digestive tract, as well as vomiting and diarrhea.
Daffodils are common in spring gardens and parks, and in bouquets, but the danger is not only in their fragrant flowers. They contain two powerful alkaloids called lycorine and gelatinamine, which cause diarrhea, vomiting, pain, and even arrhythmias.
9 and 10. Tulips and hyacinths
Other common plants in gardens and municipal parks. In this case, the danger is that the dog digs the bulb and bites, which can cause irritation of the mouth and esophagus, which is accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea.
In tulips, although the whole plant is toxic, the largest amount of alkaloids and glycosides (compounds harmful to dogs) is in the flower. Hyacinth causes digestive problems such as vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain. Depending on the dose and size of the animal, it can cause death.
11. Adam’s rib
Be careful of calcium oxalate, which is in its leaves and can cause irritation in dogs that bite it, as well as vomiting and diarrhea.
12. Aloe vera
This plant, known for its dermatological and medicinal applications, as well as the infusions that can be made with its internal gel, nevertheless contains a toxic substance in its juice, which is found only below the leaves and in front of the transparent pulp. It can cause irritation in the mouth and vomiting, as well as conjunctivitis.
This is a very toxic plant that can cause burning of the mouth, difficulty swallowing and diarrhea just by touching it, so it should be kept as far away from our puppy as possible.
The danger of ivy is not so much in the leaves as in its fruits, which can cause both dermatitis and blisters on contact. Even in extreme cases, cardiorespiratory arrest in puppies when they eat them.
Like daffodils, the risk of this plant, which is common in pots and beds for its beautiful and showy flowers, is that it contains lycorine and galantamine, two highly toxic substances that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors and low blood pressure. Puppies. Strain.
Source: El Diario